FAQ’s for Tenants

Applying for a property?

You have seen a property through Paramount and would like to submit your application.  Select the property you would like to apply for and click on the ‘Apply Online’ button. You will be directed to realestate.com.au where you create an account and fill out the information that is required.  All rental applications must be completed as fully as possible for each individual applicant. Once you have submitted your application and all the supporting documents, we will keep you in the loop as we process your application and submit it to the Landlord for their final decision.  This can sometimes take a while so please be patient. 

Why was my application not approved?

Please understand that the Landlord has the final decision on your application. Remember to attached all supporting documents when you upload your application.  Every piece of information helps in putting your application forward.  If you were not the chosen applicant, be assured our team will do our best to keep the search going to find your next home.

How much BOND is required?

A four (4) week bond is payable in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

What is a Residential Tenancy Agreement?

A Residential Tenancy Agreement is a legal contract between a tenant and a landlord or agent. The agreement outlines the amount of rent to be paid, payment frequency, the duration of the tenancy, the amount of money required as refundable security bond, as well as other conditions and rules. It is a legally binding contract so it is important that you spend time reviewing the agreement before you sign it.

Who can assist me with Utility connections?

We recommend using Direct Connect to help you connect your Electricity, Gas and arrange your Internet, Phone, Pay TV, Insurance, Cleaning, Removalists and Truck Hire.  They are happy to help and answer your questions.  Just give them a call on 1300 664 715.

Do I pay for the cost of utilities?

For residential properties, you are responsible for paying all outgoing utilities (electricity, gas, phone, internet etc).  It is your responsibility to connect your utilities and pay any fees associated to the connections. You are also required to pay the usage component of the water rates if you are renting a house, villa, townhouse, semi, duplex or granny flat. Prior to signing your lease, you will be notified of any other costs.  

Do I need to seek permission for someone to move in with me if they’re not on the Lease?

You should always notify Paramount of any persons that would like to move into your premises. This should be done in writing to your property manager.  We will contact the owner to seek their approval.

Does the landlord’s insurance cover damage or loss of my personal possessions?

No. You will need to seek out your own insurance for your contents.  

Can the rent be increased during the fixed term period of my lease agreement?

The rent cannot be increased during a fixed term unless it has been already agreed and set out in your lease agreement. However, you can be issued with a 60 days’ notice in writing advising of a rent increase to take place after your lease has expired.

What happens if I’m not able to pay my rent?

If you are going to be late with your rent payment, please contact your Property Manager immediately. We have employed a trust accounting company that process all our rents and we need a minimum of 48 hours notice to enable us to communicate and have this actioned.   We understand the unexpected does occur, communicating ahead of time with your property manager will give them more ability to assist you if this does occur. The most important thing is that you keep communicating with your property manager so that the landlord is well informed.  

If you have not paid the full rent amount due on a particular day as agreed under the terms of the tenancy agreement, and that amount has remained unpaid for a period of 14 days or more, you may be issued with a termination notice. Repeated late payment may affect your rental history and any bank bounces will incur a fee.

How do I report maintenance?

It is company policy that all repairs are lodged through our Bricks & Agent portal. For urgent repairs like a burst pipe/hotwater system, please call our office or if it is outside office hours, call our emergency contacts.

Do I need to be home during routine inspections?

No, you do not need to be home. If you are unable to be home at the inspection time, we will use our office set of keys to access the property. You will receive notice in writing from Paramount Real Estate prior to any inspection taking place. The Property Manager will assess the condition of the property to ensure everything is in order and there are no safety issues at the property. It is also an ideal time for us to check on any maintenance repairs that may be required so if you have anything you would like to bring to our attention, please advise the Property Manager during or before the inspection.

Can I change the locks?

You must advise your Property Manager in writing that you wish to change the locks.  The Landlord will be notified and we will respond to you to confirm or deny if the locks can be changed.  If you are approved to change the locks, please provide Paramount with a set of your new keys immediately.

Can I get additional Keys, Remotes etc?

In accordance with the Residential Tenancy Act, each of the leaseholders will be provided with a set of keys. Depending on the number of car space/garages, one (1) key/remote (if applicable) is provided for each space.

Should you request additional building access key you will need to request this by emailing Paramount Real Estate. Your Property Manager will contact the Strata to ask for cost and method of payment. You will need to make payment first before you are notified when the key is ready for collection. 

What if I lose my keys?

If you lose your keys during business hours, contact Paramount Real Estate to confirm we have the keys in the office.  You will need to come to the office to collect the keys and provide us with your ID to ensure we are lending our keys to the leaseholder/s. Borrowed keys must be returned during the same business day to our office. If you are not the leaseholder, we will require written or verbal consent from the leaseholder before being able to lend you our keys.

If you are locked out after hours you will need to contact a locksmith at your own cost. If the locksmith needs to change the locks, under legislation, you will need to provide the office with a copy of all new keys as per the above.  

Can I get a pet?

We require the request to be in writing so we can obtain approval from the owner.  Please don’t go buying a pet without having written approval from the owner or from your property manager.  If you are living in an apartment we will also need to seek the approval of the Owners Corporation. This is over and above the owner’s decision.  

Am I allowed to hang pictures/tv’s on the walls?

In your lease, you are not allowed to puncture any walls without permission.

If there are no existing hooks or brackets you need to seek permission from the landlord.  Email your request to your property manager and include what items you would like to hang up and including which rooms/walls and how many hooks or brackets you are planning to install in the wall/s.

Please note that the owner is not legally required to give you permission to change/alter their property with hooks, brackets, etc.  If you do put hooks, brackets etc on the wall/s without permission, this will be deemed as damage to the property.  You will be required to reinstate the wall/s to the condition they were in at the start of your lease.  This must be done at a professional standard prior to vacating, otherwise if we deem the standard is not professional, we will arrange this to be fixed on your behalf and you will be expected to pay the invoice.  This also includes temporary (adhesive) picture hooks as when removed they can damage paintwork which will required repairing at your cost.

What happens when my lease expires?

If your lease has expired, the landlord doesn't have to renew the lease.  Your tenancy is converted to a monthly tenancy agreement. If you want a new lease when your current lease is near expiring, please contact Paramount Real Estate or your Property Manager. We will seek instruction from your Landlord and if all parties agree we will prepare a new lease for you to sign. 

If you have decided to move on when your lease finishes you must give us a minimum of 14 days written notice, prior to your end of lease date. If your lease is already expired, you will need to give us a minimum 21 days notice in writing.

You will find a Notice To Vacate form on our website under the RENT tab.

What if I need to move out before the end of my lease?

If you need to move before your lease ends, this is known as a ‘Lease Break’. In accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act and your lease agreement, you are required to give Paramount Real Estate written notice of your intention to break the lease.  It must include the date you will be vacating and you will need to check what fees you are required to pay.  You can use the Notice To Vacate on our website under the RENT tab.

How and when do I get my bond returned?

You will need to make sure you do not owe any money, all keys, remotes etc are returned, you have cleaned the property and there are no damages that don’t fall under ‘fair wear and tear’.  

Your bond will be returned in full unless there are outstanding issues. The refund may take a few days to a week.  If there are any deductions to be made on the bond, the Property Manager will advise you and a claim will be made against your bond.

What is ‘fair wear and tear’?

Fair wear and tear generally means damage that can occur due to the day to day use of a place (for example, faded curtains/blinds from sunlight, worn carpet in high traffic areas and minor scuff marks on walls or floors).

If you, as the tenant, cause negligent or intentional damage to the property, you will be responsible for those damages.  Some examples of negligent or intentional damage include:

Badly scratched/damaged tiles or timber floors

Stains on carpets due to pets, pot plants, burns and stains

Holes in walls, floors and decking

Burns or scratches on bench tops